Sunday, January 22, 2012

Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly




Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly (Candlewick, 2011)

Summary from publisher:
Willow knows she's different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars.  Willow has a gift.  She can look into the future and know people's dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them.  She has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does.  Gorgeous, mysterious alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself does.  He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces and that he's one of the few humans left who can fight them.  When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil.

Paranormal romance seems to be a lasting trend in YA literature.  First we had vampires, then werewolves, then faeries, now angels.  The angels in Angel Burn, however, aren't the angels you might imagine:  benevolent, helpful, guarding creatures on missions from God.  These angels feed (yes, feed) on human energy and then send their prey into a spiral of mental and physical illness.  I have to give Weatherly credit for taking the idea of angels and twisting it.

I stayed up far too late one night reading this book.  While I found it to be very predictable, I did enjoy the story of Willow and Alex and their desperate flight to save Willow's life.  I think teen girls will find hte story just as fascinating.  One of the interesting things about this particular YA book is how relatively chaste it is.  Yes, there's some fairly passionate kissing, and at one point Alex sleeps next to Willow without his shirt on, but that's as racy as it gets.  I can easily put this book in my classroom library!  Whew!

I received the sequel to this book a week or two ago, and I look forward to reading it.  Of course, that means I'll have to wait until 2013 to read the conclusion!

No comments:

Post a Comment