Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green




The Fault In Our Stars by John Green (Dutton, 2012)


Summary from publisher:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis.  But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Honest to Pete, I have no idea how to write a blog post about this book without getting all spoiler-y.  Suffice it to say, this book is brilliant.  A masterpiece.  One of the best books I've read in a really, really, long time.  Just going by the blurb, you know this book is about a kid with cancer.  One would not think a book about a kid with cancer could be funny, but there were times when I was laughing out loud at something Hazel, Augustus, or their friend Isaac would say.  Yes, they joked about their disease, about "Cancer Perks" kids receive because they're sick, and about various side effects.  Green manages to take the dark humor and crack open the silence that often surrounds sick kids.

This is a book about love on many levels:  love for your friends, your children, your parents, yourself.  This is also a love letter to books.  Hazel and Augustus's friendship is built on a foundation of books, and it is a pilgrimage to meet Hazel's favorite author that drives much of the plot.  I can't wait to reread this book with a notebook and pen nearby so I can write down my favorite quotes to post in my classroom.

This book is definitely for older readers, junior high and up.  There is some language and sexual situations, but nothing is explicit.  There is definite emotional toll, too, as one would expect from a book about a kid with cancer.

Get this book.  Now.  Read it.  You'll love it!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one, Mindi. Thanks for a great review with no spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this book confused with a different one, so I was avoiding it, but your review made me look again. Now it looks great and I'll put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete