Monday, January 16, 2012

It's Monday... What Are You Reading?


It's hard to believe it's Monday again!  Here we go with another round of It's Monday!  What are you reading?  If you'd like to play along, head on over to visit Kellee and Jen and add your link!

What I read this week:
7.  A Plague Year by Edward Bloor (finished 1/11/12) (Ugh......)
8.  Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon and Dean Hale (finished 1/12/12) (Fun graphic novel retelling of Rapunzel)
9.  The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (finished 1/13/12) (OMG, read it.  Just read it!)
10.  Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King (finished 1/14) (Powerful story of bullying and dealing with it - or not)

This week I read three great books and one dog.  I also abandoned a book, something I almost NEVER do!  I just couldn't keep reading past about page 80 and put it aside.  Maybe it's just that I wasn't in the mood, maybe it was the subject matter, I'm not sure.

This week I'll continue reading for the Caudill committee.  I HAVE to get those last 10 books read before January 28, but I also REALLY, REALLY want to read A Million Suns by Beth Revis, the sequel to Across the Universe.  I also have several students lining up to read it when I'm finished.  I guess I'd better get on that!


9 comments:

  1. I loved Everybody Sees the Ants. I agree, it was a powerful book. King's first book, Dust of 100 Dogs is amazing too. Have a great week! :)

    Booking It with Runner Sami

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Fault In Our Stars. It did not disappoint at all. It was amazing, right!!? I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be upset when I abandon a book. Now I'm more comfortable with it, and do plan to try those books later. I created some goodreads' shelves so I can keep better track of those books now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished Please Ignore Vera Dietz, my first A.S. King book, and really liked it. I will definitely be reading more of her books! My resolution this year was to only read books I like, so I won't hesitate to abandon a book if it isn't working for me. There are too many awesome books waiting to be read and enjoyed to waste time on duds. It took me a LONG time to develop that attitude, but I am so happy I finally got it! Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-N7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on two book award committees so from time to time I have to read a dud. I usually feel that even though I don't like a particular book, I have students who will, so I often keep reading so I can put that book in the right person's hand.

      Delete
  5. I agree that there are too many good books available & one should abandon those that just aren't working for you. Perhaps they will for someone? You are the 5th person today to talk about The Fault In Our Stars-Wow. I am persuaded! I will look up the AS King book about bullying-it looks good on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've gotten better at abandoning books recently. I have WAY too many books I want to read that are going to be amazing so I have gotten better at stopping books.
    I also cannot wait to read Everybody Sees Ants- looking forward to it.
    Good luck reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read A Million Suns over the weekend--it surpasses the first one, and I already have a line of students waiting for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not read any of your books, but that is not surprising as I have only belatedly begun to read mg books with more purpose.
    I think it is freeing to know you can abandon books, there are so many and only so many reading hours to be carefully eeked from our busy lives.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete