Monday, October 22, 2012

It's Monday! Here's What I've Been Reading

Hello, mid-October!  My reading life has really ramped up, and it's hard to keep up with the demands on my time.  With the Amelia Elizabeth Walden Award selection committee reading, as well as the Rebecca Caudill Award for Young Readers selection committee, I don't get to read many books that I WANT to read since I have so many I HAVE to read.

Here's what I read this past week:

161.  Lost Cause by John Wilson (finished 10/15) RF about a boy on a quest to find out answers about his Grandfather's mysterious past.
162.  Rat by Lesley Choice (finished 10/15) High interest-low readability book about standing up to bullies.
163.  Three Little Words by Sarah N. Harvey (finished 10/17) RF book about a boy coming to terms with being abandoned as a child and re-meeting his birth mother.
164.  Prisoner of Snowflake Falls by John Lekich (finished 10/19) RF book about a boy with a conscience who steals to survive and the consequences of his actions.
165.  True Blue by Deborah Ellis (finished 10/20) RF book about a girl dealing with her best friend's arrest on charges of murder.
166.  Riot Act by Diane Tullson (finished 10/20) High interest-low readability book about riots following a championship game.
167. The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis (finished 10/21) HF book about an intelligent and clever girl and her family's difficulties during the Great Depression.
168.  The Truth About Truman School by Dori Hillstad Butler (finished 10/21) RF book about online bullying.

My reading plan for this week:
  • finishing Close to Famous by Joan Bauer.
  • Mostly True Story of Jack by Kelly Barnhill
  • Journey of Xoc by Matt Dembicki
  • Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake


Want to know what others are reading this week?  Head over to TeachMentorTexts and click on the links!

What are YOU reading this week?


2 comments:

  1. Hi there Mindi, glad to see The Mighty Miss Malone in your list here. I've been meaning to read that for the longest time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavy reading this week for you! It looks like you are reading in theme too. I hadn't heard of any of these books except for The Mighty Miss Malone. I will have to check out the books you've listed especially the ones dealing with bullying. Also thanks for pointing out the Hi/Lo book. I am always on the look out for Hi/Lo books for students who are looking for something accessible but interesting.

    ReplyDelete