It seems I'm finally getting back into the swing of blogging after an absence of several months. It feels good to be thinking and writing about some of the amazing books I've been reading!
This past week was filled with trying to read as many books as I could in preparation for the meeting of the Rebecca Caudill Award for Young Readers selection committee. We met on Saturday and discussed fifty books as we narrowed our list down to twenty finalists. It will be up to students across the state of Illinois to choose our winner in 2014!
I can't list the finalists now, but I hope to be able to share them soon!
So here's what I've finished reading since January 21:
16. Beyonders: A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull (finished 1/22/13) - the beginning of a new fantasy series by Mull. I thought it was too long.
17. The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens (finished 1/23/13) Adventure-fantasy. Fun read. Also the first book of a series.
18. The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell (finished 1/24/13) Magical mystery involving enchanted birds, a mysterious kidnapping, and a clever girl. Worth a read.
19. Faith, Hope, and Ivy June by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (finished 1/25/13) Sweet story of two girls who learn that they are more alike than different.
20. Blizzard of Glass by Sally M. Walker (finsihed 1/26/13) Fabulous non-fiction about the explosion in Halifax Harbour in 1917 that killed hundreds. Amazing research here.
21. Dark Emperor & Other Poems of the Night by Joyce Sidman (finished 1/26/13) Poetry book with amazing illustrations. Would make fabulous mentor text.
This week I plan to read:
- Intentions by Deborah Heiligman
- Fitz by Mick Cochrane
- Zero by Tom Leveen
- Life Happens Next by Terry Trueman
- Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick
Check out what others are reading by visiting the TeachMentorTexts blog. You won't be sorry!