Monday, February 25, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading (Special Double Issue)

I love this weekly meme hosted by Kellee and Jen over at TeachMentorTexts.  It's so much fun to see what other people have been reading and get ideas for books to add to my ever-expanding To Read pile.  However, my To Read pile is starting to get a bit obnoxious, taking over several bookshelves in my basement, one in my bedroom closet, and my entire nightstand.  I really need to work on this!

Since I forgot to post last week, I'm going to share my reading for the past TWO weeks.  Here goes:


30.  The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (finished 2/18/13)  Interesting fantasy set in a slightly future Britain.  Involves dragons and swords.  'Nuff said.

31.  Sons of the 613 by Michael Rubens (finished 2/19/13) Funny and sad story of two brothers one struggling with bullying and growing up, the other struggling to find his place.  Highly recommend this one for oler readers.

32.  Ladies in Waiting by Laura Sullivan (finished 2/21/13) Strange historical fiction.  I love books with girls in itchy dresses, but this one was WEIRD!

33.  Loss by Jackie Morse Kessler (finished 2/21/13) Second book in a series about the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.  

34.  Ichiro by Ryan Inzana (finished 2/23/13) Graphic novel about a Japanese American boy who goes to visit his grandfather in Japan and learns about his history.  Bit of a fantasy as well.  Quite good.

35.  Son by Lois Lowry (finished 2/24/13) The close of The Giver quartet.  I wanted to love it, but it fell short.  Ended up giving it 4 stars.

This week I have several books to read for my next Walden Award deadline as well as two "grown-up books" that I have from the library, including the new (and sadly, final) Maeve Binchy.

In addition to my reading, I have a preso on digital writing tools that I need to prepare for a conference on Friday and two presos for my grad class on Saturday!  I'm going to be one busy girl!

What are YOU reading this week?

5 comments:

  1. My daughter has been insisting that I read Ichiro by Ryan Inzana, we already borrowed it from the library and the illustrations look gorgeous. I've read several mixed reviews about Lowry's Son as well. Would have to read it for myself. Good luck on your upcoming presentations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally checked out Son last week, but then realized belatedly, that The Giver is the only one I have read so I ought to read the others first. Ichiro looks good - will add that to my list. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't really have to read Gathering Blue or Messenger to read Son. The characters in those other two books play a very small role. I hadn't read Messenger.

      Delete
  3. Sons of the 613 sounds good, Mindi. Thanks for giving more ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post. I like it. It was interesting to read it. Great thank's author for sharing…

    www.paperwritings.com

    ReplyDelete