Each September for the past several years, my friend Sarah and I have attended the Anderson's Bookstores Young Adult Literature Conference. We love this event because we get to interact with some of the biggest names in YA literature and meet up with bookish friends from around the area. We spend Friday night in a hotel, go out for dinner, and then try not to spend TOO much money in the portable book store Anderson's sets up. We get books signed and find out about hot new titles.
I was lucky enough to sit at a table with Gayle Forman who couldn't have been nicer. She signed my copies of both Just One Day and Just One Year. I talked to David Lubar about my daughter who loves science and art. I told Andrew Smith that I was scarred by Marbury Lens but have fallen in love with Winger. I learned that Michael Grant is absolutely hilarious. What could be better?
Here's what I managed to read this week:
143. Blindsided by Priscilla Cummings (finished 9/22) realistic fiction about a girl going blind at 15
144. The Second Life of Abigail Walker by Frances O'Roark Dowell (finished 9/25) middle grade book about bullying and finding new friends
145. Project Mulberry by Linda Sue Park (finished 9/28) middle grade realistic fiction about a girl who wants to fit in.
Here's my plan for this week:
- Finish Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
- Read Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan