Sunday, December 15, 2013

It's Monday! Here's What I've Been Reading - Birthday Getaway Edition


My husband and I both have December birthdays.  His before Christmas, mine right after.  Several years ago, we decided that it's hard enough to buy each other Christmas gifts, let alone birthday gifts, and that we'd rather have a nice dinner out than have more stuff in the house.  Since then, we've headed into the city for a fancy dinner.  This year, we sent our girls off to Grandma and Grandpa and spent the weekend in the city.  It was a much-needed weekend.  Because I wasn't at home, I couldn't obsess over the seventy-five-million things that need to get done in the next week.

I did, however, get to read.

Here's what I read this week:
187.  Liar, Liar by Gary Paulsen (finished 12/11) Middle grade read about the hazards of lying.

188.  Systems for Change in Literacy Education by Carol Lyons and Gay Su Pinnell (finished 12/12) professional read about coaching and providing professional development


189.  Summer of the Gypsy Moths by Sara Pennypacker (finished 12/13) Lovely novel about the power of friendship


190.  Slob by Ellen Potter (finished 12/14) Middle grade read about a boy dealing with grief.


191.  Almost Home by Joan Bauer (finished 12/14) Lovely YA about a girl dealing with homelessness.


192.  Legend by Marie Lu (finished 12/15) first in a YA dystopian series.  Have been meaning to read this one for a long time.



This week I plan to read more... not sure what titles yet, but I know I'll be able to get some quality reading in as I start my winter break at 3:35 on Friday.

What have you been reading this week?  Head on over to Teach Mentor Texts or Unleashing Readers and link up your list!

4 comments:

  1. I will try to get to Legend over the break-keep hearing about it, and need to read at least the first one! Loved Almost Home-opened my eyes to challenges I had never thought about. Thanks for all the other titles, Mindi. Your weekend sounds wonderful, & it's such a great idea-memories instead of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you enjoy Legend? I just finished the final book in the trilogy and loved it! Have a great reading week! ~Megan
    http://wp.me/zUn5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your birthdays! Sounds like a perfect birthday arrangement. Summer of the gypsy moths caught my eye, looks like my kind of book. I'm also glad to have finished quite a few books during the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3:35! I will be thinking of all of my holiday reading longingly at about this same time! The count down is on! I just got the alert from my library that Legend - book 1 and 2 are in for me! Saw it last week a lot on #IMWAYR blogs and thought I should read!

    ReplyDelete