Monday, February 3, 2014

It's Monday! Happy February Edition


Holy cow!  Where did January go?  It seems like too many months I ask myself this question.  Even my daughter is starting to wonder where the time is going... in the car on the way to school on Friday, she remarked on how quickly the school year is going.  She said she thought seventh grade would be the longest year of middle school, but she might just be wrong.

Time flying is sometimes a good thing, but the older I get the more I want time to slow down.  I want to have more time to savor my girls while they're still children, to enjoy each and every stage - even these crazy pre-teen years that sometimes drive me nuts.  My girls are pretty cool people with great ideas and deep thoughts, and I'm worried that I'll miss something and regret it later.

I'm lucky my girls share my love of books.  Last Tuesday, during our second emergency day, my 9 year old was reading the second Spirit Animals book while eating her lunch (a common occurrence at the Rench Ranch).  From across the room, I heard a plaintive "NOOOOOOOOOO!" followed by the slam of a book cover.
      "Cliffhanger?"  I asked.  She nodded solmenly.  "You'll have to wait 'till April to find out what happens, you know."
      "Yeah, but at least now I know why the cover is the way it is," she replied.
This made my day.  It is a perfect example of engagement.  My kid got to read a book she WANTED to read, no quizzes... no comprehension questions.  Just reading for the joy of reading.  I know she "got it" because we talked about it.

Similarly, my older girl recently finished Rapture Practice.  She decided she didn't want to share this one with her friends at school because she wanted to hold onto it for a bit longer.  Isn't that cool?  Haven't we book people had similar books that we just wanted to carry around with us, either physically or in our hearts for a while after we finished?

I'm so lucky I get to experience these things as a parent.

So....here's what I read last week:
18.  Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher (finished 1/27) Novel in letters about a girl dealing with the death of a friend.
19.  Panic in Pittsburgh by Roy MacGregor (finished 1/28) A mystery about hockey and concussions and the Stanley Cup.
20.  Escape Theory by Margaux Froley (finished 1/30) Psychological mystery set in a Pacific Northwest boarding school.  Definitely needed to suspend my disbelief for this one.
21.  This is W.A.R. by Lisa Roeker (finished 2/2) Story of a group of girls who come together to avenge a friend's death.
22.  Little Red Lies by Julie Johnston (finished 2/2) Historical fiction novel about post-WWII PTSD (before it was called PTSD).

This week I plan to:
  • finish Rogue by Lynne Miller-Lachman
  • Read a professional book from my ever-growing pile.
  • Read more of At Home as a way to work on my goal of reading more "grown up" non-fiction.
How has your reading week been?  Ready to share? Head on over to Unleashing Readers or Teach Mentor Texts to link your lists.  While you're there, visit some of the other blogs and leave a comment or two!

2 comments:

  1. Great list of books. This is War and Little Red Lies both look like books I would enjoy. Please stop by and check out my weekly link up too.

    Mary-andering Among the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when kids really get engaged with a book. My 12 year old has a similar experience now as she reads the Harry Potter series, she would read passages aloud to both me and her father and just go glassy-eyed. I can see how she is lost in a book, and it's so beautiful just seeing that.

    ReplyDelete